Petersham Nurseries' flagship destination in Richmond sits beyond the walls of the owners home and garden in the leafly suburbs of west London. Horticulture is at the very root of the business, which started as a plant nursery, yet today is so much more. Our ethos and philosophy is drawn from nature with a respect for the environment and the Slow Food philosophy – good, clean and Fair. Petersham Nurseries Richmond is a lifestyle destination that includes an internationally renowned glasshouse restaurant, a plant nursery, a homewares shop that sells antiques and gifts and a teahouse serving wholesome food and homemade cakes.
A charmingly casual yet sophisticated restaurant, Petersham Nurseries Café is set within a glasshouse brimming with bougainvillea and jasmine. Our menus are all about celebrating seasonality. We take the very best ingredients, treat them with respect and serve them simply to let their flavour shine. Much of our produce is grown on our own farm in Devon or within our onsite kitchen and vegetable gardens where we have our very own chickens and bee hives. Open only for lunch (Tuesday – Sunday) with a handful of candlelit supper clubs throughout the year the restaurant serves Italian inspired food.
We care for our people as much as we do our ingredients and are looking to hear from you if you are a Chef de Partie, Commis or Pastry chef with a passion for ingredients. Get in touch if you would like to know more about this opportunity to work in a beautiful unique setting as part of our Petersham family.
The role will include but not be limited to:
• Gaining a understanding Petersham Nurseries philosophy by learning and demonstrating thorough knowledge of food and ingredients.
• Learn set recipes and ensure all menu items are made to specification meeting a consistent high standard of quality and presentation.
• Effectively communicate with other members of the kitchen staff taking on board regular feedback and instruction.
• Develop your culinary skills through growing your knowledge of food and ingredients.
• Be part of and engender a kitchen environment that is creative, nurturing and positive, that promotes learning and a passion for food and produce.
• Ensure that Health & Safety and Food Safety standards are adhered to and recommendations from Food Safety Audits carried out.
• Assist with ensuring all administration for the kitchen is completed according to all deadlines such as food hygiene records, stocktakes, wastage sheets and cleanliness records.